A stunning terrace renovation on the Lower North Shore, Sydney.
Scroll down to view more photos.
Building and renovation brief
We were working on another renovation project across the road when we were approached by the owner of this Crows Nest terrace. The client had rented the property for several years whilst they lived overseas. Prior to moving in they had big plans to turn this character-filled terrace into their forever home.
The build and renovation process
Rectification of mould and ventilation problems.
Before commencing work we had to investigate and rectify ongoing subfloor ventilation problems that were causing mould issues in some areas of the home.
To this end, we installed a ventilation system in the subfloor area comprising a ducted extraction system. To protect the timber floors we added foam installation to the underside of the floorboards. This had the added advantage of stopping drafts and to help maintain and moderate room temperatures, particularly during the cooler months.
Internal renovation work completed.
- Removal of internal walls to increase room sizes. Steel beams installed to carry the load of the removed walls.
- The existing timber floors at the front of the property were in good condition so we were able to restore them. These were sanded back and a limewash applied.
- New engineered oak timber flooring was installed in other areas of the terrace where the original flooring wasn’t suitable for restoration. The new oak flooring was limewashed to match the restored timber floors.
- New kitchen installation. Shaker style cabinets, marble benchtop, new appliances.
- Stair case was rebuilt to accommodate the new internal layout and removal of internal walls. Under-stair storage added. Magnetic push-catch added to create a streamlined look.
- Custom window seat positioned adjacent to a sunny window looking out to the backyard.
- Paint all walls, door frames, skirting boards.
- New sliding doors added at the back of the terrace opening out to the courtyard.
- The bathroom wall was cracked so we had to undertake rectification work, waterproofing and retile.
- Restore the fireplace.
- Renovate the courtyard.
The finished result
The result of this North Shore terrace renovation was spectacular. The clients were ecstatic and couldn’t wait to move in. We are scheduled to return to the property in 2021 to build a wine cellar.
If you have any questions about this Northern Sydney terrace renovation or how we can assist in transforming your home, please don’t hesitate to contact us direct. We are happy to visit you to discuss your building and renovation requirements at a time convenient to you.
The benefits of working with Scully Constructions
Scully Constructions was established by brothers, Ben and Matt Scully in 2016. With over 15+ years experience in the residential construction industry, they work together with a close team of professionals to bring the client’s dreams into a reality.
A family-owned and operated company based on the Northern Beaches of Sydney, Scully Constructions is known for repeatedly exceeding our customer’s expectations and has grown primarily on the strength of recommendations from those customers. It’s with this background and a commitment to excellence that Scully Constructions continues to provide building and construction services that turn dreams into reality and create satisfied and thrilled customers at every turn.
At Scully Constructions we believe that being fair and honest and going into jobs open-minded allows us to walk away at the end of every job with very pleased and thankful clients. Don’t just take our word for it, read customer testimonials here »
- We are a team of highly skilled Master Builders with Cert 4 Building and Construction qualifications.
- Our Master Builders are backed up by highly skilled, professional tradespeople.
- All trades are licensed and fully insured. Licence number 305595C. ABN 49 615 711 398.
- Weekly client meetings to keep you up to date and discuss any concerns you may have.
- We’ll be working on your project every day – we don’t outsource to underqualified trades or labourers.
- Our expertise ranges from renovations to new home builds and residential duplexes.
- Should you require, we have access to expert draftspeople and architects who can turn your ideas into a reality.
- Our expertise extends to the Council approval process with a thorough knowledge of DA submissions, building codes and BASIX requirements.