House renovation and first floor addition on the Northern Beaches.
The finished result of this house renovation and first-floor addition, completed by our team of Northern Beaches builders and expert tradespeople in May 2020, was nothing short of spectacular. Best of all, our client was ecstatic with the results and their testimonial (below) confirms this.
The owners of this semi-original, red brick home, located in the highly sought after Curl Curl enclave, had outgrown it. The property was looking very tired and the floorplan wasn’t conducive to a growing, 21st century family. On the lower level there was the kitchen, a living area, main bathroom and 3 bedrooms. The master suite was “tacked” onto the back of the house in a minor renovation completed decades ago.
The first stage of this renovation was to remove all the asbestos. We liaised with our specialist asbestos removal contractors who undertake a lot of work for us on the Northern Beaches.
Open plan transformation
The transformation of the original downstairs of the home involved the removal of many walls (only three original walls remained) and reconfiguration of the entire space, transforming it into an expansive, open plan area. Steel beams were installed to ensure the property was structurally sound and prepared for the first-floor addition.
The reconfiguration included the addition of a media room (which could be easily transformed into a guest bedroom) plus a stylish powder room.
- Reconfiguration to open up the area
- Addition of a media room / guest bedroom
- Guest powder room with shiplap walls and marble vanity top
- New kitchen renovation with shaker cupboards and marble benchtop
- Engineered Oak flooring throughout
- Large bi-folds installed for a seamless flow to the pool and pool house
- Feature staircase leading to the second story addition
- New Gyprock walls with shiplap detail
- New skirting boards and cornices throughout
Second storey addition
The second storey addition was designed to accommodate the three bedrooms, main bathroom and expansive master suite (main bedroom). The master suite featured a walk-through ensuite to impressive ‘His and Hers’ walk-in wardrobes.
- Bedrooms moved upstairs to the new second-story addition
- Expansive master suite with walk-through ensuite plus His and Hers walk-in robes
- Large main bathroom with freestanding bath and marble vanity top
Hampton-style exterior upgrade
We completely transformed the exterior of the original 1960s, red brick into a stylish, Hampton-inspired home – perfect for its sought after Northern Beaches location.
The original red brick was rendered and painted with a new carport added. Weatherboard cladding was used for the first-floor addition to remain true to its beachside origins. Timber trims were added to the gable and roof detail. A new Colorbond roof (Basalt colour) was also installed. Travertine tiles and sandstone features complimented the new colour scheme and added texture to the front garden.
At the rear of the home, the existing inground pool was in good order so was left as-is. We renovated the adjacent pool house to maintain interior and exterior design consistency throughout the home.
New turf was laid and minor landscaping to the front entry garden and backyard.
- Exterior rendered and painted in a Hampton-inspired colour scheme
- Gable roof detail with contrasting white timber trims
- Travertine tiles and sandstone features
- Carport addition
- Weatherboard second story
- Pool house renovation
- Minor landscaping and lawn turf laid
“If you are looking for honest, skilled and professional builders who will do an incredible job, look no further. These guys are it.
Our family underwent a major rebuild at the beginning of 2020. There’s no doubt a project of this size can be both scary and daunting at the best of times. But to also have a global COVID pandemic thrown in at the start, made it even more intimidating.
Thankfully, Scully Constructions were our rock from beginning to end. They were forever helpful, collaborative, informative, accommodating, available and well planned.
Matt and Ben Scully always made sure we knew exactly what was happening in advance, especially for each week ahead. And when they said something would be done, it always was – without fail.
Honest, reliable, trustworthy, genuine, skilled and passionate about what they do. There’s no jargon or BS with these guys. They want you to be happy and to love the outcome. And they regularly went above and beyond to ensure that was the case.
We can’t praise them and their entire team enough and would recommend them without hesitation to both family and friends… And have done so.
As for the end result… I think the before and after photos speak volumes. We went from a rundown ugly brick box, to a home that is beyond beautiful. Beyond what we could have ever hoped for. We love it so much.
If you are considering Scully Constructions for any project, we would absolutely recommend them. And if you need any further convincing, pick up the phone and I’ll tell you in person, you’ve found your builders and you need look no further.”
Laurence and Christine Cronin, Curl Curl (View testimonial here »)
The benefits of working with Scully Constructions
A Northern Beaches and North Shore Building Company.
Scully Constructions was established by brothers and Northern Beaches builders, Ben and Matt Scully in 2016. With over 15+ years building experience in the residential construction industry, they work together with a close team of professionals to bring the client’s dreams into a reality.
A family-owned and operated company based on the Northern Beaches of Sydney, Scully Constructions is known for repeatedly exceeding our customer’s expectations and has grown primarily on the strength of recommendations from those customers. It’s with this background and a commitment to excellence that Scully Constructions continues to provide building and construction services that turn dreams into reality and create satisfied and thrilled customers at every turn.
At Scully Constructions we believe that being fair and honest and going into jobs open-minded allows us to walk away at the end of every job with very pleased and thankful clients. Don’t just take our word for it, read customer testimonials here »
- We are a team of highly skilled Master Builders with Cert 4 Building and Construction qualifications.
- Our Master Builders are backed up by highly skilled, professional tradespeople.
- All trades are licensed and fully insured. Licence number 305595C. ABN 49 615 711 398.
- Weekly client meetings to keep you up to date and discuss any concerns you may have.
- We’ll be working on your project every day – we don’t outsource to underqualified trades or labourers.
- Our expertise ranges from renovations to new home builds and residential duplexes.
- Should you require, we have access to expert draftspeople and architects who can turn your ideas into a reality.
- Our expertise extends to the Council approval process with a thorough knowledge of DA submissions, building codes and BASIX requirements.